Thursday, July 24, 2014

MY SOCIAL WORK JOURNEY FROM JARRET'S GARDENS (1)

I am fortunate to have a small, reassuring family consisting of my wife, children ,children-in-law ,and grandchildren , and a big extended family comprising my former students of social work , many of whom keep in touch with me regularly or occasionally. Some of my former students  have been asking me to write my experiences as a social work professional. I am touched by their warmth and I am planning to look back in time .

My father's ambition was to see me as an Engineer as I was good at Mathematics. But I completed my Master's degree in Statistics. Soon I realised  that I will not be happy with Statistics as my career option. I discussed with my Statistics Professor Dr. M.Mani my indecision. He suggested Social Anthroplogy. The "Social"part appealed to me, but not Anthroplogy. Meanwhile , I was in contact with a famous Marxist thinker and a Member of Parliament as from my College days, I was a part of the activities of the Student Federation of India. I had attended many study sessions on Marxism. I was advised by the MP to consider joining the Communist Party as an ordinary member and he assured that he, being an economist , would be able to sharpen my theoretical skills on  Marxist theory and praxis. But my family circumstances did not permit me to consider his advice.

Meanwhile, I happened to see an advertisement of the Madras School of Social Work (MSSW) inviting applications for the postgraduate course in social work. I thought Social Work would be suitable for me as a career. The address given was JARRET'S  GARDENS. Lal Bagh at Bangalore with its beautiful gardens was in my mental  image . I appeared for selection test at Jarret's Gardens at Casa Major Road at Egmore. As I entered the gate my mental picture changed dramatically. The campus had some trees, two thatched sheds, a dilapidated out house, and an old two-storied structure, which gave the impression of  a heritage building. It was in June 1961.

There was a written test, group discussion, a face-to-face interview with a member of the faculty, and the final panel interview. For the first time  I met two significant personalities: Mrs. Mary Clubwala Jadhav, Founder-Secretary , and Prof.K.N.George, Director of MSSW. Our Head of the Department of Mathematics  during my degree course , Prof. John K John was always in suit and we have never seen him smiling. Our Statistics Professor  Aleyamma George  was a terror. In contrast, I saw to my surprise a Director who was cheerful. Prof. K. N.George was different. I saw him walking up and down most of the time, screaming for minor things, and talking casually as if nothing happened. I found my name in  the selected list of candidates for the postgraduate course in social work. My social work career ,thus, started from Jarret's Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment